Upholstery cleaning is an essential part of maintaining the appearance and hygiene of your home. It can be a daunting task to clean upholstered furniture, especially if you don’t have the right tools or experience. In this article, we’ll provide you with some tips for DIY upholstery cleaning, discuss the different types of fabrics and materials you may encounter, and explain why you should hire a professional upholstery cleaning service like Premier Carpet Care.
7 Tips for DIY Upholstery Cleaning:
- Vacuum your upholstery regularly: Vacuuming your upholstered furniture regularly helps to remove dirt and dust from the surface. This is especially important if you have pets or children who may bring in dirt from outside.
- Blot up spills immediately: If you spill something on your upholstery, it’s important to blot it up immediately with a clean cloth. Don’t rub the spill, as this can spread it further into the fabric.
- Use a mild cleaning solution: When cleaning your upholstery, use a mild cleaning solution that won’t damage the fabric. You can make your own solution using water, vinegar, and dish soap.
- Test the cleaning solution first: Before applying any cleaning solution to your upholstery, test it in an inconspicuous area first to ensure that it won’t damage the fabric.
- Don’t oversaturate the fabric: When cleaning your upholstery, make sure not to oversaturate the fabric with water or cleaning solution. This can lead to mold and mildew growth.
- Allow the upholstery to dry completely: After cleaning your upholstery, make sure to allow it to dry completely before using it again. You can use a fan or open windows to help speed up the drying process.
- Consider professional cleaning: If your upholstery is heavily soiled or stained, it may be best to hire a professional upholstery cleaning service.
Different Types of Fabrics & Materials:
Upholstered furniture comes in a variety of fabrics and materials, each with their own cleaning requirements. Here are a few common types of upholstery and how to clean them:
- Cotton: Cotton upholstery can usually be cleaned using a mild cleaning solution and water. However, it’s important to avoid oversaturating the fabric.
- Leather: Leather upholstery should be cleaned using a mild soap solution and a soft cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on leather.
- Microfiber: Microfiber upholstery can usually be cleaned using a mild cleaning solution and water. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions.
- Silk: Silk upholstery should only be cleaned by a professional upholstery cleaning service.
Why You Should Hire a Professional:
While DIY upholstery cleaning can be effective for minor stains and spills, it’s often best to hire a professional upholstery cleaning service like Premier Carpet Care. Here are a few reasons why:
- Experience: Professional upholstery cleaners have the experience and expertise to handle even the toughest stains and spills.
- Equipment: Professional upholstery cleaning services use specialized equipment and cleaning solutions that are more effective than what you can buy at the store.
- Time: Upholstery cleaning can be time-consuming, especially if you have multiple pieces of furniture to clean. Hiring a professional can save you time and hassle.
Hire Professional Upholstery Cleaning Pittsburgh
Upholstery cleaning is an important part of maintaining the appearance and hygiene of your home. While DIY cleaning can be effective for minor stains and spills, it’s often best to hire a professional upholstery cleaning service like Premier Carpet Care. By following our tips for DIY cleaning and understanding the different types of fabrics and materials, you can help keep your upholstered furniture looking and smelling great for years to come. Contact us today to schedule your upholstery cleaning appointment.